Plump it up! The Pros and Cons of Lip Injections
- Posted on: Mar 22 2019
If you have always dreamt of having full, plump, and luscious lips, you may be wondering if lip fillers are right for you. There are many factors you will want to consider, along with a variety of products to choose from, depending on your goal.
Restylane® and Juvéderm® are two of the most popular lip fillers available on the market – and in our office! These two injectables use hyaluronic acid, which is a substance that is already found within your body. There are a few different variations on these you may have heard of including Restylane Silk or Juvéderm’s Volbella. Like most fillers, the provider chooses the one best suited to your tissue and your needs. In the hands of skilled doctor or master injector, any of these fillers can help you achieve the luscious lips that you have always dreamed of!
Now, let’s take a look at the pros and cons of lip injections:
Pros of Lip Fillers:
Treatment can be gradual
If you want to achieve the perfect lips without taking it too far, you can schedule a few appointments to spread out your treatments. This will allow you to have a more gradual effect. Unlike having implants placed, our lip fillers will allow the freedom to experiment and have time in between visits so that you can get used to your new look!
You can achieve a more natural look if you don’t want your new lips to be a huge change or outwardly noticeable. With a majority of the hyaluronic acid (HA) fillers available, after one or two syringes, you will be able to achieve your desired results. You’ll be able to work with one of our highly-trained and skilled injectors to determine exactly how much volume you want added to your lips.
Long-lasting, temporary results
The biggest advantage of lip fillers is that while they offer you a solution that can last for months, it is not permanent. Depending on the product and volume used for your treatment, you can expect your results to last for around four months. With continued injections, you may get your results to last even longer. We will be able to discuss the longevity of available fillers during your complimentary consultation.
Minimally invasive option
While there are multiple cosmetic procedures that can magically transform your lips, such as fat injections and implants, lip fillers are less likely to produce side effects. And because the product is injected directly into the lip, there’s no downtime or surgery required.
Cons of Lip Fillers:
While there are many pros to lip fillers, there are a couple of cons, as with any medical or skin care procedure, that you want to be aware of. Extra volume, shape, and structure to your lips sounds like a dream come true, and it generally is, but lip fillers still have potential side effects. These include:
- Swelling: This is the most common. Swelling can last for as little as a couple of hours or up to 10 days in rare occurrences.
- Irregularities and scarring: These are rare but possible and, in some cases, can lead to lip asymmetry that will last until the effects of the filler wear off.
- Bleeding and bruising: Lips are very vascular and on occasion, bruising occurs around the injection site (just like getting a shot).
- Allergic reactions: While very rare, they may sometimes still occur.
- Infections: Infection risk is extremely low but can increase with certain medical conditions.
- Discomfort: If you’ve had lip injections in the past, you know they can be uncomfortable, even with topical anesthetic. At Azul, we think pain should be a laughing matter! So, we have ProNox (laughing gas) in each of our offices for use as needed with any procedures that may cause discomfort.
To lower the risk of any side effects, have a thorough conversation with one of our highly-skilled injectors prior to your procedure to let them know about any medical conditions, medications or medical history.
Our team at Azul can help you meet your goal, whether that’s plump lips, or just restoring the shape you had when you were younger. If you want to learn more about our approach to lip fillers or any other procedure we offer, give us a call at (239) 747-1148 for a complimentary consultation.
Posted in: Procedures