How Sculptra Can Help You Age Gracefully
- Posted on: Sep 30 2020
Aging affects each of us differently. Furthermore, the way each person addresses the signs of aging is unique to their preferences. We consider ourselves fortunate to have so many tools at our disposal these days. Just in the last 15 years, aesthetic medicine has taken huge leaps forward. Rather than correct the signs of aging with plastic surgery alone, adults now have multiple options from which they can choose. Here, we discuss how Sculptra, an innovative soft tissue filler, may be ideal for you.
We called Sculptra a soft tissue filler but it really sits in a category all its own. This FDA-approved injectable product does work similarly to standard hyaluronic acid dermal fillers in that is restores volume to areas where lines and creases have developed. However, it doesn’t work in the same way. Made of poly-L-lactic acid, Sculptra is more of a collagen stimulator than a dermal filler. Poly-L-lactic acid particles work by causing low-level inflammation beneath the skin and fat pads that thin with age. This spurs new collagen proliferation that lasts as long as 2 years. New collagen restructures the skin’s foundation to be firmer, thicker, and smoother.
The Pros and Cons of Sculptra Aesthetic
- Dermal fillers that smooth the skin by increasing volume last approximately 18 months. This can vary based on how quickly the body metabolizes the product. Sculptra does not work the same way, so maintains effectiveness for 2 years or longer.
- Because Sculptra builds new collagen in the dermis, it is possible that touch-ups performed every few years could require less product to achieve the same great results.
- Sculptra is a collagen stimulator. It works continually for several months to keep the fibroblast cells that make collagen active. The best results from Sculptra treatment may be noticed four to six months after injections. This creates a natural rejuvenation. You won’t look like you’ve had work done.
- There is minimal downtime and a low risk of side effects from Sculptra treatment because the poly-L-lactic acid is biocompatible. The body will absorb it and utilize it to build collagen fibers.
- Sculptra is not your average dermal filler, so there is a cost variance between the two treatments. However, because the effects of dermal fillers can fade more quickly than Sculptra, cost-effectiveness may be similar.
- As a collagen stimulator, Sculptra takes time to reward you with dramatic results. If you prefer immediate enhancement, you may prefer a hyaluronic acid filler.
- The best results come from a series of treatments, usually scheduled six weeks apart.
- The increase in volume achieved with Sculptra is not reversible like hyaluronic acid fillers are. The effects of treatment naturally fade over time as collagen degrades in response to aging.
Sculptra injections can be scheduled at our Naples, Bonita Springs, or Fort Myers office by calling 239.415.7576. Contact us today for your appointment with our experienced, friendly staff!
Posted in: Dermal Fillers