I have the privilege and honor of talking with a lot of patients who come to me from all different walks of life. Moms, grandmas, great grandmas, dads, newly single grandads — meeting new people and understanding their stories is one of my most favorite parts of being a surgeon. Sometimes my patients come to their initial consult without really knowing what questions to ask about facial rejuvenation in general, and facelifts in particular. Trust me, there are no silly questions! In my more than twenty years of practice, I’ve heard it all. So I want to share with you a guide to some of the essential questions you should ask during a consult if you’re even thinking of having a facelift, as well as my (brief) answers:
- Are you board-certified? Were you trained specifically in the field of plastic surgery?
- How many years of plastic surgery training do you have?
- How many procedures of this type have you performed?
- What is your favorite facial surgery, and why?
- Am I a good candidate for this procedure?
- Can you explain what happens during my surgery?
- What happens when I wake up?
- What will my recovery period be like?
- What if things don’t quite go as planned? Can you explain the risks and complications associated with my procedure? How are complications handled?
- How long will my facelift last?
- Will people know that I’ve had a facelift? Do you have suggestions as to how to respond when asked if I have had work done?
- Do you have before-and-after photos I can look at for each procedure and what results are reasonable for me?
I’ve been a facial cosmetic surgeon for over twenty years, and have performed more than 20,000 facial procedures. I’m also a board-certified ophthalmologist and in facial cosmetic surgery and am one of the relatively few plastic surgeons in America who focuses exclusively on the face. All minimally invasive procedures are performed in our offices in Bonita Springs, Fort Myers or Naples. I perform all surgical procedures at St. Mark’s Surgical Center in Fort Myers. You can see before-and-after photos of many different kinds of procedures in our photo gallery.
When we meet for your consultation, we’ll go over what you’d like to change about your appearance, and why. I prefer to approach this as a comfortable discussion rather than a clinical question-and-answer; it’s important for you to be honest about your desires and goals, and I will do everything I can to help you feel comfortable. I’ll ask you some questions about your medical history and lifestyle as well; this will help determine whether you’re a good candidate for the procedure you’re seeking. I promise, I’ll always be direct about what surgery can and cannot accomplish, as well as the potential risks that accompany any procedure. My job is to ensure your safety first. If it turns out that the procedure you want isn’t a good fit, I’ll suggest some alternate surgery or cosmetic procedure that might be a better fit.
Everybody is different, and no two surgeries ever have exactly the same results. I do everything I can to ensure that your surgery will be the positive change you want, but there’s always a small chance of complications, and we will spend time talking about what those might be during your consultation. The amazing team here at Azul will gladly answer your questions and help you achieve your “best self”. You can call us at (239) 415-7576 to book your free consult, or schedule one online. I look forward to meeting you and being part of your journey to a new you!